Distress without the Stress!

 Did you know I LOVE Vintage? If you follow my work, then you know that is a silly question, being that most of my designs have a vintage flare to them.

Well, I am here today to share with you a vintage inspired greeting card using two of the new releases this month over at So Suzy Stamps! This image is called Vintage Stockings and would be great for all those Vintage inspired Christmas cards.


Now some of you may be intimidated by vintage, or don't know where to start. Well, I am here to share with you some of the things I do to create some of my vintage projects.

Most every image can be worked into a vintage card, of course there are several that may work better than others.  I find that the best vintage cards (for me) are the ones where there is minimal coloring and just a perfect stamped image, like the one I am using today.

All the stamps in the Steampunk section over at So Suzy Stamps are great for Vintage inspired theme cards as well.

Your design always starts with your paper. I like to use Kraft paper and designer paper that has lots of warm earth tones in them. There are a lot of papers out there that are created to look old and distressed, Most of the Tim Holtz brands are like this. One of my favorite paper stacks is called "The Rustic Stack" by DCWV. It is one I use often.


There are a few techniques that I use to to give my projects an aged look.

1.   Distressing Inks

 These are a great way to age your paper, but they can get a bit pricey.  If you are starting out I recommend Walnut Stain, Vintage Paper and Tea Dye. These are the three I used on the edge of the stamped image. Remember that these inks are SLOW drying inks, so you may need a drying tool if you don't like to wait.

2.  Paper Distressing

There are a few ways you can distress your paper. One way is to tear your edges or use a paper distressing tool. I used a distressing tool on all four edges and then curled up the top right corner. If you do tear, make sure you tear away from your image and not towards it.

3.  Crumpling your paper

Now this may sound a little strange, but it is a good way to get some creases that your distressing inks will love. For the best results, you should try to get an even effect across the paper. You will find that the distressing ink transfers primarily to the raised, crumpled elements of the paper to highlight these features.

5. Paper Spritzing

The fireworks brand that is carried at So Suzy Stamps is great for backgrounds. Be careful not to use too much, a couple of squirts will do the trick.

4. Embellishments

There are lots of embellishments that work well with vintage theme'd cards. I use many objects from Idea-ology as I like to use metal. Buttons, Stitching and die cuts are also great additions. I also go to the remnant area at JoAnn's fabric to find pieces of lace to add to my cards.  Torn washi tape works great as well. You can see how I used washi tape and lace in the image above. Bakers twin is another great embellishment. Check out your garden supplies area in your local walmart. I found the twine that I used on my buttons for a lot less than what it would have cost me in the Arts and Crafts area, (and it is the same thing.)

Here is the inside of my card


Well I hope my post today was helpful. I would love to see some of your vintage inspired cards so do share!

Thanks for stopping by.

Items I used:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Challeng Winners - February & March 2023

   Hello everyone. As you may have noticed, I have been MIA for the last couple of months. Life has been very busy and it has been difficult...